Saturday, July 10, 2010

A Poetic Post

We have been treated to a variety of poetic efforts since we began our journey.

Our first poem was written by Stan, father of Sarah and an active member of Knox Shuniah United Church, who read this to us as we awaited our departure in Thunder Bay...

An Ode to the Zambian Team

After days of long, arduous and fulfilling of many a task
The Zambian team will work and in the African sun bask
Be it teaching, dental work, or building of a swing
With them they shall many other talents bring

Their long flight will land on African soil
To assist God's people in their daily toil
In helping to make the earth a better place
With pride, dignity and perpetual grace

For it is in giving that we truly receive
With the Lord our helper we do believe
So let us salute the crew, each and every one
May God guide all this fine team of Eleanor and Ray Dunn.


As you may recall from a previous post, we had quite a long wait at the Thunder Bay Airport while waiting to depart. While Erin (Delta Airlines) and Amelia (Bearskin Airlines) worked hard to re-book our onward flights in order to meet up with Walter and Meagan in Amsterdam, we passed the time by writing some Haiku and Limericks. Here is a sample of our efforts!

Will it be Bearskin
Hurry - let's call Jasminka
Raymond is still Ray*

* Thank you to Brian for his insight into his parents' relationship!

Oh those Delta girls
Erin's printing the tickets
Don't lose them en route!

Amelia waits
We're going to Ottawa
Don't let that plane leave!

There once was a group from Nu Vision
Who thought they were going on a mission
But instead of Lusaka
They ate some moussaka
And now it's a Greek expedition!*

* Composed at a time when we didn't know where our route would take us!

I've saved the best for last. Mary is a Zambian woman who works here for the Franciscan Friars, and her third daughter, Susan, is 13 years old. She has written this poem to recite in a competition next Saturday. She recited this for us on Friday as we returned to the school, and I was moved to tears. Please try to imagine her standing in front of us reading this in her strong voice and Zambian accent.

LOVE LOVE LOVE

Everyone cries out for love
Everyone needs love
Everyone deserves to be loved

But eh!!
Love is rare
It is not easy to be found

I went to the East
To the West
To the North and the South
To look for love
I did not find love

I looked on the streets
BUT,
All I found
Were street kids
Who were looking for love

THEN,
I LOOKED TO GOD
There I found love
For GOD IS LOVE
And God's love is
In the hearts of people
Who love and desire God

In the days
Of my tomorrow
When my school is behind me

I want
To be a loving person
I want
To be a caring person
Caring for others
Especially
Those who most need love

I want to reach out
To the needs
Of the most needy

And to show love
To the most unloved

Only then
Will I be
The loving Susan
That I desire to be.

Posted by Kate.

3 comments:

  1. Yes ~ I live with a poet! Who knew? All of your efforts were great as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Meg and Walter,

    Just wanted to say that I will be on the Northsea, till Tuesday. Will write when I am back. Till then have a good time.

    Huges and Kisses Petra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job in writing some half decent poems! I am glad you are living with people you like to be around and say thank you to your hosts from me for taking care of my family so well. Dad and Meag, I am getting together with Sue tomorrow morning during my free time, thought you might like to know. I should go to bed now. Can't wait to read more!

    Love lots, Sam

    ReplyDelete